Monday, February 21, 2011

Searching for Intruders



The first three chapters of Searching for Intruders left me feeling horrible. It's so frustrating to read stories in which none of the characters are sympathetic. I felt disgusted after reading the first 6 stories -- how could someone even write something this depressing? I get writer's block if my character is unsympathetic -- where is the motivation in continuing the story of someone who has little to offer? Or perhaps this is kind of a hedonistic thing to say. I've never been able to acknowledge that pain might have as much value as pleasure, if any at all.

The character of Wilson makes me feel very unhappy. The opening story, Roaches, was repulsive in many ways, least of which was the description of the floor of the apartment swarming with roaches. In Roaches and Floating, the reader gets a fairly strong impression of Wilson being a pretty bad husband/boyfriend. Even the short-shorts set between the chapters don't inspire sympathy in me for Wilson, despite the hardship they hint at.

I read a few more chapters of the book, and it helps expand the story and give me a little reason to empathize with Wilson, but still not much.

There is something to be said, however, for the way that, despite not feeling any sort of connection with the characters, something about them makes me want to keep reading. Though maybe that has to do with having to read it for class. :)

5 comments:

  1. I agree! There's something really dark and sad running in between the lines of Wilson's story, and as a reader, it is uncomfortable to not know what to do with it.

    Clearly Wilson has some deep psychological/emotional issues that he needs to work through. As someone pointed out in class, maybe that's why there's a sense of lack of structure in the story...it parallels how as a character he's just kind of floating somewhat aimlessly in his life.

    I wonder why this book was so successful. Can a lot of people just connect to the emotional "torment" Wilson endures? Or is there something else to it that connects to readers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do actually feel pretty sympathetic towards Wilson. His desire to help but his inability to do so makes him a really vulnerable character, but one who I find myself feeling sorry for as I read. I feel way more sympathetic towards him, for example, than I would if his character was really overly-confident and stubborn.

    Masculinity at its most stereotypical doesn't reveal any amount of vulnerability, so I guess I just admire Wilson for not taking on that role (though he does try to be masculine in his own way, I guess). It could be argued that his ineptness gives his character a bit of humility--which is stereotypically a really Mennonite characteristic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised at my feeling of annoyance that creeps up now and then toward the characters. It took me too a while to get used to such dark writing (ok, maybe it's because this book is juxtaposed against Rhoda Janzen's novel in our class) and the tone still makes me uncomfortable, and irked. I find myself wanting Melody to stop being wishy-washy or Wilson to just find a therapist, for goodness sakes. Is that me subliminally wishing for him to become a more masculine character, or for her to fit a more nurturing, "feminine" role? Maybe, which is kind of scary.
    I guess it's a good thing though if Byler is drawing me into the novel so much that I'm agitated at his main character for not getting therapy or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know, I find I am sympathetic with Wilson at times (key words: at times). Even though I myself am a clean freak, I sympathize with him in "Roaches" when Melody gets upset about one spot of dried up sauce or something on the counter. Then I stop sympathizing with him when he leaves the crepes on the windowsill and makes a mess of the apartment later. I also did not like the extreme foreshadowing in this story. I mean, when he leaves the sticky residue from the crepes on the windowsill and on the living room floor what do you think is going to happen?
    I also sympathized with Wilson in "Floating" because the Rubber Ducky guy was a jerk and Wilson shouldn't have had to pay extra for the trip. And Melody was all nice and seemingly having a good time when they were floating down the river but as soon as it was over she was mad at him. However, I immediately stopped sympathizing with Wilson when he got them into a crash.
    My main problem with this book is the vulgarity. If I want to hear swear words or of seeming abuse (between Wilson's parents) or sex I can turn on my tv or pick up a romance novel.
    I am struggling to figure out how this book is Mennonite besides that the author is Mennonite. He mentions Mennonites a few times as people they pass on the road but even I can write about them in passing like this and I'm not Mennonite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that the book was annoying. Probably, in a way, not even worth reading. What was it that you empathized with? Was there anything you liked or could relate to?

    ReplyDelete